Nina Kraviz is a Siberian born singer, producer, song-writer and DJ renowned as a passionate record digger and for her outstanding taste in idiosyncratic electronic music. One of the world’s most in demand DJs, her hunger to dig deep into the archives of electronic music mean her surprising and unique sets serve as a master class in both the past and future. Her earliest international solo hits appeared on Underground Quality and Rekids, where she released her album Nina Kraviz in 2012, with a DJ Kicks mix in 2015. Her uncompromising attitude and individual sound led to the creation of her own label трип in 2014, where she’s able to fully realise her heartfelt divergent aesthetic.
“It always feels special as an artist to play at fabric and it brings a lot of excitement. Playing in Room One is a unique experience because of the unusual DJ booth, where you can hide like a magician and orchestrate the room from there. When the room is full, with the lights blazing, it feels as if you are wired in directly to the dancing crowd.” - Nina Kraviz
In her fabric mix Kraviz takes the listener down the road less travelled. fabric 91 is pieced together from a series of live takes and careful listening will reveal two narratives, separated by a breath, weaving together techno, IDM, electronica, ambient and many disparate facets of acid.
The mix includes collectors’ rarities like Bedouin Ascent, Frak ‘First Snow in Harlem’, Mike Henk, DJ Slip and Woody McBride, as well as under-exposed Russian 90s IDM and electronica from Species of Fishes (that was released as just a few CDs) and New Composers & Pete Namlook. Some of Nina’s favourite but less known acid stompers illustrate her personal take on acid and acid trance, drawn from practitioners across the globe. From the airy acidic cuts of Minneapolis’ DJ ESP and Belgian DJ Tuttle to the much rougher takes of Dutch pioneers Unit Moebius and I-F, the acid trance of Thomas P Heckmann and Frankfurt psychedelic acid of Air Liquide and on to the furious jewel of Italian Reﬂex label related D’archangelo (Automatic Sound Unlimited). The mix also introduces numerous unreleased tracks from трип including upcoming works by Bjarki, Nikita Zabelin, PTU, Biogen, Orange Juice Man and Nina herself. In fact, the mix features no current releases at all. Every track is either a classic rarity or an unreleased treasure from the future.
Starting with stripped back Species of Fishes and Bedouin Ascent, Kraviz takes the listener from the acid thumps of ‘Beverly Hills 808303 ‘Acid Planet’, to blissful Icelandic techno from Torul V and blurred vocals in her own ‘Pochuvstvui’ and ‘You are Wrong’, completely grinding to a halt at one point, before gliding through a breakbeat frenzy with ‘Lag 38’ on towards further sonic explorations where some tracks, like Pansonic’s ‘Murtaja’, are woven into the mix for mere seconds, closing with a previously unreleased gem from a young Aphex Twin. Nina’s depth of musical imagination and subtle deftness behind the decks elegantly bridge decades, genres and beloved inﬂuences on fabric 91, proving her once again to be a master of the unconventional ride.
“This mix is of course where I am as a DJ and record collector, but it’s also where I am as a listener and it’s what makes me groove at the moment. People call this a brain dance … This mix is a trippy acidic dream with a lot of different emotions along on the way. And as it was recorded at different times and places, under different circumstances, it’s naturally absorbed all these very different emotions.. I’ve used only completely new unreleased music or rare old tracks, and nothing in between, no current releases. The mix is an invisible bridge between the past and a future that is actually now.” - Nina Kraviz
1. Species of Fishes – Tak [трип]
2. Bedouin Ascent - Ruthless Compassion [Rising High]
3. Woody McBride – TV [трип]
4. DJ Slip - Jill’s Meth (side A) [Missile]
5. Tim Taylor, Dan Zamani, Freddie Fresh, DJ Slip – Iceberg [Missile]
6. Soren -19C [Unreleased]
7. Leo Anibaldi - Aeon Fusion 1 [ACV 1038]
8. DJ RX-5 - Like A Boogie [Schmer]
9. Nikita Zabelin - Confusion [Unreleased]
10. Bjarki - Denise It Ain't Easy 2 [Unreleased]
11. PTU - A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day [Unreleased]
12. Orange Juice Man - Huckfuq 3 (Uxi Mix) [Unreleased]
13. Birk Brainwash - Deli At Night [Unreleased]
14. Breaker 1 2 - Sueno Malo [Unreleased]
15. Panasonic - Murtaja [Sähkö]
16. Birk Brainwash – Goyfax [Unreleased]
17. Beverly Hills 808303 - Acid Planet 4 - A2 [Acid Planet]
18. Kirlian – Porzellangasse Grooves - Groove 2 [Sähkö]
19. Species of Fishes - Crash Recovery [трип]
20. Frak- First Snow In Harlem [Börft]
21. Species of Fishes – Bfg9000 vs. Barons Of Hell [трип]
22. Biogen - Irrelevant Information [Unreleased]
23. Biogen - Lag 38 [Unreleased]
24. Species of Fishes - Sh [трип]
25. New Composers & Pete Namlook – Tetra [Fax]
26. Unit Moebius – Radar [Frantic]
27. Nina Kraviz - You Are Wrong [Unreleased]
28. Torul V – Denwer [Tissju]
29. Nina Kraviz - Pochuvstvui [Unreleased]
30. Mike Henk - Dox-003 Untitled B1 [Pulsar]
31. Woody McBride – The Power Hour [трип]
32. Christian Bloch – Refuse [Simple Muzik]
33. DJ Tuttle – Universe of Love [Subsounds]
34. Woody McBride - Prolonged [трип]
35. Drax LTD II - Amphetamine (Air Liquide remix) [Trope]
36. Claude Young- Locked [Djax]
37. Negative Return - First light [Global Ambition]
38. Air Liquide – Revelation [Blue]
39. Automatic Sound Unlimited – Approaching [Hot Trax]
40. The Detroit Escalator Co. - Fate (As A Chasm) [Peacefrog]
41. AFX - fork rave [Warp]
fabric 91: Nina Kraviz will be released 9th December 2016
Order your copy here.
The launch party will be held on 3rd December at #saveourculture 2, Great Suffolk Street.
More info and tickets are here.
03.12 – #saveourculture 2
Arch 1 –
fabric 91: Nina Kraviz Launch
Arch 2 –
Barker & Baumecker