Opening in 1910 the Depot, Mayfield was originally established as a functional railway station, aiding the overspill from Piccadilly Station previously named London Road.
Mayfield Depot was constructed due to the increasing popularity in rail through exports, travel & goods and the adjacently located London Road unable to cope with this increase in demand.
Passengers through Mayfield were mainly compiled of local workers with the majority of lines only reaching as far as Stockport.
Despite being hit by a parachute mine during WW2, Mayfield remained in usage during war and became the Main Station in Manchester throughout the 50s due to the refurbishment of Piccadilly.
After the refurbishment catering to the electrification of railways in the late 50s/ early 60s the advancement in technology led to the foreclosure of the Depot as an acting railway station, the closure then left the space unused, derelict, abandoned in Piccadilly area.
After 10 years of non use, the depot was purchased by the Royal Mail in the early 1970s, converting the mass land space into a lead sorting depot for Manchester. A new junction was added to allow trains to get back in to Mayfield, and the platforms raised to facilitate more storage areas.
After 18 years as the lead mailing distribution centre, Royal Mail began to utlilise roadways to deliver their parcels rather than trainline due to wider route accessibility. This lead to the Royal Mail moving out of Mayfield, which then lay dormant for 27 years.
Now 2019, The Depot, Mayfield is under construction for WHP19, serving as the new home for The Warehouse Project.